Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Default Fly wheel, balancer question

I just went and replaced the fly wheel on my sbc with a bigger one. It had a fly wheel from a 283 that had been balanced with the rotating assembly. I went back with a normal sbc fly wheel which is bigger. I also bought a sfi balancer for the motor while I was in that area and it is heaver than the balancer that the motor had. Now I am wondering if this will affect my motor any since they are a little heavier. Any kind of information on where to go from this?
    Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    If the lag for some reason becomes an issue I will spray it till it becomes a non-issue..

Banned

Status
    Name
    Big Papi
    Vehicle
    2015 Fusion Titanium AWD
    Blog Entries

If the engine has been externally balanced as I believe you are saying yes, I am sure you may run into issues and vibrations. If the engine was built internally balanced you can toss what even damper and flex plate as long as they are neterual

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

The actual weight won't effect anything but any imbalance between what you had and now have will. Best bet is to take what you took off to a shop that does balancing and have them match it.
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

Quote Originally Posted by firebird_1995 View Post
    The actual weight won't effect anything but any imbalance between what you had and now have will. Best bet is to take what you took off to a shop that does balancing and have them match it.
    the motor is internally balanced. So if i took it all to a shop since i do not know who balanced it (bought it from my dad who had it sitting in a corner put up for years) would i have to take the complete rotating assembly. Thats alot of time i dont really have. And i figure if i go that far i may as well wait and go forged crank and rods if im that far into the motor which means i would have to wait even longer. The motor is going into my daily driver. Its just a little 355 sbc with some aluminum heads and a 503/503 228/228 roller cam on stock rods and crank with forged pistons.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    If the lag for some reason becomes an issue I will spray it till it becomes a non-issue..

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

Well like Chris said, if your engine is internally balanced, as long as your flywheel and damper are neutral balanced, put it in and let it bump.
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

Quote Originally Posted by firebird_1995 View Post
    I agree basically with what you are saying, but disagree specifically. The weight will affect how quickly the engine will spin up/down. This affects overall performance of an engine, but has nothing to do with it running correctly.

To the OP, if the engine is internally balanced (front/rear), you should be able to take the flywheel down to the machine shop and get it balanced correctly without having to take the rest of the engine (or rotating assy) in with it. If the balancer is setup for external balance, I don't think you can take it in and get the balance changed at the machine shop (I could be wrong on this note). Check with your machine shop, but I'm pretty sure they won't be able to do it.
    94 Z28 LT1 M6 - ​SOLD