Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by rdx View Post
    I always check for continuity on the cap before installing the opti, once I got brand new AcDelco cap with no continuity to one cylinder, I guess there can also be worse scenarios than 1 cylinder and of course I would check for trouble codes looking for a sign of a bad opti sensor
    My old cap caused a "High Res Pulse" code, but with the new Opti, I didn't get any ignition-related codes. I got only codes related to the parts that had not been re-installed yet (water pump, for example, which led to a coolant temp sensor code)

And unfortunately, checking continuity is not a possibility at the moment, as 90% of my tools are in Ypsilanti, about 180 miles from where I'm staying, and I only go home once a month usually. I'll be home this weekend, but I'm trying to get this done by then. I'm probably going to go ahead and replace the water pump on Friday after I cash my paycheck, just for preventative maintenance purposes, but if I can't figure out the ignition issue, I'm going to lose my mind before I even make it that far.

1994 Pontiac Formula-PPM, LT1/T56, BBK Stainless Shorty Headers, Magnaflow cat-back, 17" C6 5-spokes.
    Coming Soon: Full UMI tubular suspension, UMI STB, Eibach ProKit coils, KYB AGX adjustable shocks, and a tune.

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    Dont forget to use some dilectric grease also...to keep out the moisture on the plug connections.

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
    LTXtech.com
    I knew I was forgetting something. . . I'll pick some up tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder!

1994 Pontiac Formula-PPM, LT1/T56, BBK Stainless Shorty Headers, Magnaflow cat-back, 17" C6 5-spokes.
    Coming Soon: Full UMI tubular suspension, UMI STB, Eibach ProKit coils, KYB AGX adjustable shocks, and a tune.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by 93formulalt1 View Post
    I knew I was forgetting something. . . I'll pick some up tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder!
    no sweat man...just to help make it last longer when u get it straightened out

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
    LTXtech.com

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    no sweat man...just to help make it last longer when u get it straightened out

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
    LTXtech.com
    Anything to prevent me from messing with this crap again anytime soon is a plus in my book.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 93formulalt1 For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Just a reminder.... the splined shaft is "indexed" on both ends. It fits into the "missing" tooth slot in the back of the Opti, just like it fits into the "missing" tooth on the cam sprocket. If a read your earlier post correctly, the splined shaft stuck in the cam sprocket when you pulled the Opti off. That means that after you pulled the shaft out of the cam sprocket, you had to insert it into the Opti. Did you make sure you indexed the shaft correctly on both ends?

I'll never understand why GM didn't make the indexing absolutely impossible to get wrong.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Just a reminder.... the splined shaft is "indexed" on both ends. It fits into the "missing" tooth slot in the back of the Opti, just like it fits into the "missing" tooth on the cam sprocket. If a read your earlier post correctly, the splined shaft stuck in the cam sprocket when you pulled the Opti off. That means that after you pulled the shaft out of the cam sprocket, you had to insert it into the Opti. Did you make sure you indexed the shaft correctly on both ends?

I'll never understand why GM didn't make the indexing absolutely impossible to get wrong.
    Yes, I checked the indexing on both sides. There was only one way the shaft would fit into the cam sprocket one way (easily, without forcing it), and from there, I lined up the opti rotor splines the best I could by eye, and carefully put it on. They only fit together one way, unless you force the thing together by using the bolts to draw the opti onto the splined shaft. Let me put it this way: When I put the opti on, I only used the ratchet to snug the bolts down, as I put the opti on, then held it in place and hand-threaded the bolts nearly all the way in. Bolts weren't used to draw the opti onto the splined shaft, I sat there and messed with it for several minutes until I got everything lined up, and the opti slid right into position, flat against the mounting points.

I did not make any mistakes, I've changed optis before, and this isn't my first time messing with the opti on this car.

Honestly, I'm heading home this weekend, and I'm seriously considering yanking the 168k mile opti from my '93 parts car, since I KNOW that one works, and using it to diagnose any other issues before I install the new Opti. I'm really starting to get frustrated here, although not so much with the car, but with the whole situation (ordering parts, driving 30 miles to get them, wrong part delivered, etc.)

I live in the sticks, the O'Reilly's Auto Parts I've been buying parts from is about 26 miles from me, each way, and I've now made 4 seperate trips to get parts from them. That's 208 miles I've driven for this ordeal, and I have to drive back to get the part on Friday.

what brand of opti did u get?

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Probably Cardone or the like given it's coming from Oreillys.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by 93formulalt1 View Post
    .... and I'm seriously considering yanking the 168k mile opti from my '93 parts car, since I KNOW that one works, and using it to diagnose any other issues before I install the new Opti..
    Can you use a 93 opti on a 94....?

I get confused.... i thought 93 was 93 only...then it was 94-95....then it was 96-97.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

On the F and Y Body, 92 (Vette) 93 (Vette & F-Body) and 94 (Both again) all used the spline driven opti.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast