Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    MAD ABOUT LTX's

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z/28 A4 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 1970 Firebird Espirit, 1972 Camaro Sport Coupe

Loved the ship engine pics and the fact that your 93 looks like my 93, looking forward to seeing more on this build.
    If you don't stand behind our MIlitary then feel free to stand in front of them. <---- This is my oldest son (PROUD DAD HERE) Mike (just plain mad) Madman337 1993 Camaro Z/28 A4 all stock other than a muffler and LCAs @292K+ miles. 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche. 1970 Pontiac Firebird. 1972 Camaro, 1994 Corvette, ​17 Fusion Sport AWD V6 Twin Turbo

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Daisuke
    Vehicle
    1996 Z28 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Holy cow that engine is big. How often do you have to change the air filter lol.

Very nice build you have going on. I dont think I have ever heard of a machine shop getting a block turned around on time once.
    We change the air filters about every 2 weeks usually. They have what is called a "turbo wrap" which is this ~15 foot long by ~2 feet wide filter material that we wrap around the intake side of each turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by FormulaJoe View Post
    I'm liking your build! Nice choice of parts. Looking forward to checking out the rest of your progress.

Like popo said, it really is hard to fathom the immensity of those slow speed marine diesel engines. Really cool stuff though, I'm glad you gave us some info on that along with pictures.

TPIS had my block done in 2 weeks and 1 day in the spring when most shops get pretty busy... They quoted me "about 2 weeks" so I was pretty dang happy..
    It definitely is pretty incredible to be in the engine room while these things are running. Just the size of the parts is a little insane.

So I am waiting on some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to come in now from amazon since none of the stores here have it in stock. looks like this build will be continuing on tuesday now. I think I will start on switching out the interior from my donor car since that needs to get done sometime soon. More updates as they happen.
    1996 Z28 SS M6 Polo Green Metallic - Built 355 from my 93
    1996 Z28 SS M6 Arctic White - Stock
    1993 Z28 Medium Patriot Red - 355 LT1 with M6 and 24x Conversion (RIP in peace)
    2007 Corvette Z06 Black - Stock

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Daisuke
    Vehicle
    1996 Z28 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Holy cow that engine is big. How often do you have to change the air filter lol.

Very nice build you have going on. I dont think I have ever heard of a machine shop getting a block turned around on time once.
    Quote Originally Posted by FormulaJoe View Post
    I'm liking your build! Nice choice of parts. Looking forward to checking out the rest of your progress.

Like popo said, it really is hard to fathom the immensity of those slow speed marine diesel engines. Really cool stuff though, I'm glad you gave us some info on that along with pictures.

TPIS had my block done in 2 weeks and 1 day in the spring when most shops get pretty busy... They quoted me "about 2 weeks" so I was pretty dang happy..
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman337 View Post
    Loved the ship engine pics and the fact that your 93 looks like my 93, looking forward to seeing more on this build.
    Thanks! definitely nice to get some encouragement on my first build thread. Ill see if I have some other interesting engine room pictures to show everyone.

MAD ABOUT LTX's

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z/28 A4 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 1970 Firebird Espirit, 1972 Camaro Sport Coupe

Just a suggestion but from my time working in a machine shop I would take the 1k sandpaper and "wear it out" first before using it on your cam bearings and also use very light pressure while sanding it, I used to polish cranks with a belt style machine and the paper belt that was on it felt smooth but polished it up very well.
    If you don't stand behind our MIlitary then feel free to stand in front of them. <---- This is my oldest son (PROUD DAD HERE) Mike (just plain mad) Madman337 1993 Camaro Z/28 A4 all stock other than a muffler and LCAs @292K+ miles. 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche. 1970 Pontiac Firebird. 1972 Camaro, 1994 Corvette, ​17 Fusion Sport AWD V6 Twin Turbo

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Daisuke
    Vehicle
    1996 Z28 SS

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Since I can't work on my engine until I get this cam bearing problem figured out, I decided to start on the interior again. I had already started on a few months ago when I got the car but was only about 1/3 done.

Notice the shitty interior on this car. Soon it will all be gone and looking awesome:

Incredibly dirty and disgusting inside

This is what it looked like earlier when I opened the door

Lots of little spiders have made my car their home

This is how my car looks right now. 6 months of dust collected from living right next to a highway.

Pretty soon there will be a third petal here

And there will be a much different shifter here

I still need to pull the driver side seat before I can continue. I am wondering if I can wire a car battery directly to the seat wires since I have no power in the car. The seat needs to be moved forward and back to access the bolts to remove it.

Once I get that figured out I can tear out all of the carpet and get it ready for the swap. I should probably start working on pulling the interior out of my donor car also.

Great write up! I see you are going to do a x24 conversion ... if not for that, I would have suggested you take the wiring harness and computer out of the donor and upgrade to that. The 93's computer is a bugger to upgrade/update/tune. The only thing it has going for it is the speed density if you are going radical enough to utilize it (though you can tune 94-97 computers for SD as well). Other than that, they are just a PITB. Tuning software for the 94-97 cars is easy to come by as well. As far as hooking the battery directly to the seat, I think if you just installed a battery into the car, making sure you don't have any live wires inappropriately grounded, you'd probably get power to the seat, but that is just a guess.

Those engines in the ships are mind blowing. If you try to look at them like you do the engines in our cars, your head will get all twisted around at the numbers. I mean, one of those pistons are as big as our cars, while one of the turbo chargers is bigger than an engine. 122 rpm? That is slow in comparison! Absolutely amazing!

Keep us up to date ... right now I have to live vicariously through write-ups like these!

EDIT: Another thought I had which I did with a donor car I had. I cut the metal for the trap door mod (fuel pump) out of the donor car about an inch bigger all the way around than what the trap door calls for, then used it to cover the hole in my driver. I drilled several holes for sheet metal screws, put some sticky back foam tape on there, and it sealed up without issue. The great thing is, since it is exactly the same shaped metal, it fits right in there without any modification and seals nicely. Since it's under the carpet, nobody ever sees that it's a different color. Oh, and I put POR15 on all the edges to ensure no rust. Just a thought
    Last edited by Paulster2; 03-31-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    94 Z28 LT1 M6 - ​SOLD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paulster2 For This Post:

MAD ABOUT LTX's

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle

Yeah I am going to do the T56 swap to mine as well and I was lucky enough to snag a donor 97 TA that is a running driving car with only 125K on it (mine is sitting at 256K+) right now and hasnt been opened up except for a set of lifters but I drive it every day. Your car looks just like mine but I dumped the seats for leather and I was lucky enough that the previous owner had a cover over the dash like yours so my dash is still perfect.

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Daisuke
    Vehicle
    1996 Z28 SS

I started pulling the dash apart because I decided that I might as well just replace the whole thing. The dash pad up top, while looking perfect, completely shattered as soon as I touched it. I hope the other car's dash pad isn't in such brittle condition or this is going to suck.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by Homerandabe69 View Post
    I started pulling the dash apart because I decided that I might as well just replace the whole thing. The dash pad up top, while looking perfect, completely shattered as soon as I touched it. I hope the other car's dash pad isn't in such brittle condition or this is going to suck.
    they usually are if they are original...

Larry (Popo8) Co-owner
    LTXtech.com

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

3.4L to LT1 Swapper

Status
    Name
    Brian Meissen
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro "Red Alert"; 2022 Camaro LT1 RS

Awesome writeup! Love the pics of the freighter's engine. I work along the Detroit River in downtown Detroit and we have 1,000 foot freighters that go by during the warmer months and it's truly an amazing sight to see.

Like Larry said, unfortunately those dash pads are always brittle - especially being in the sun all the time.

- Brian Meissen -
    "Magic Man" - LTxTech
    Owner - Michigan FBody Association

1994 Chevrolet Camaro "Red Alert" [ LT1 Transplant ]
    2022 Chevrolet Camaro LT1 RS "Cherry Bomb 6.2"

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast