Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ah I remember now... honestly I think that it's an excellent upgrade. I drove my T56 car last week and it was horrible sloppy compared to the ZF6. The ZF6 shifting changes the driving experience by itself.

So are you planning on doing the same, running single mass flywheel/Fbody PP/Fbody sprung clutch? If so, looks like we'll be working together on this one. Hopefully if there isn't a sand storm I'll be tearing things apart after work today. I should be able to get spacing and measurements as I go from both transmissions/clutches.
    1994 Z28 383ci - Jake's 4L80 - Moser 9" [LE2 heads and LE cam - 121mph @5500DA]
    1995 Corvette 350ci - ZF6 - Dana 44 [GTP heads - XE503 - RamHD]
    1997 Ram 2500 - tractor motor - duel spinners - chimnie mod

"The Hammer"

Status
    Name
    JimmyMo
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Bersaglieri View Post
    Ah I remember now... honestly I think that it's an excellent upgrade. I drove my T56 car last week and it was horrible sloppy compared to the ZF6. The ZF6 shifting changes the driving experience by itself.

So are you planning on doing the same, running single mass flywheel/Fbody PP/Fbody sprung clutch? If so, looks like we'll be working together on this one. Hopefully if there isn't a sand storm I'll be tearing things apart after work today. I should be able to get spacing and measurements as I go from both transmissions/clutches.
    I'm going to be converting over to a push style clutch for this one. The ZF slave sits a little higher than the t56 slave cylinder does. Unfortunately you have all the info that I have.

The reason I chose to go ZF over having my t56 built is because the ZF is a straight cut gear box, and far stronger than the factory rating. The guy who built my 8.8 for me has put over 1000 flywheel horsepower through one, bone stock, and still hasn't opened it up and has no plans to unless something starts going wrong.
    "Only in the Corps can you put three guys in a room with an anvil and a rubber mallet, come back 15 min later, and the anvil is broken, the rubber mallet is missing, and nobody saw a damned thing!"

What clutch was used in the 91-92 Firehawks?? They used a ZF-6 in those as well. Don't know if it will help at all but just thought I would add to it.
    93' Formula: Built T-56 w/ viper internals, Strange S60, CC503, full rear suspension.

"The Hammer"

Status
    Name
    JimmyMo
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 93M6Formula View Post
    What clutch was used in the 91-92 Firehawks?? They used a ZF-6 in those as well. Don't know if it will help at all but just thought I would add to it.
    I believe the same clutch set up was used in the 91-92 hawks as the ZF equipped vettes. They also had a special bellhousing that it would take an act of congress and half the gold in fort knox to get a hold of. SLP made a very limited run of the conversion kits for 3rd gens after they quit making the thirdgen hawks.
    "Only in the Corps can you put three guys in a room with an anvil and a rubber mallet, come back 15 min later, and the anvil is broken, the rubber mallet is missing, and nobody saw a damned thing!"

I hate to link other sites, but here's the thread on CF I made as well: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-with-zf6.html

Looks like we're slowing but surely getting somewhere. I may just need a ZF6 throw out bearing and to shave the flywheel .090"... I could deal with that!

"The Hammer"

Status
    Name
    JimmyMo
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

That sounds about right.

I've got the stock ZF6 throw out bearing, but it's a good possibility it's got the same 165,xxx miles the body of the car does... hmm.

Here's a picture of my Ram pressure plate and throw out:

Looks like the fbody style.

"The Hammer"

Status
    Name
    JimmyMo
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

It is, here's a pic of the pressure plate from my corvette pull out I bought to get the trans.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Corvette guys came up with measuring the ZF6 setup to the pressure plate teeth, then comparing that to what the Hays/Ram measures and cutting the difference.

Also here is an excellent source they came up with for clutch stuff: http://www.powertorquesystems.com/Co...rvetteMain.htm

They list two different throw out bearings for the ZF6, just as you showed the two different shaft sizes of black vs blue tags. Looks like my best bet might be to buy a new TOB from there with a fluted pilot bearing and have the flywheel machined as necessary after measurement.

Talked to Jim at Power Torque Systems and that guy knows his shit on ZF6 transmissions. I can't recommend him enough for sourcing parts, getting info, and having everything in stock. He actually works on what he sells and has first hand information and experience in these transmissions. I've got a throw out bearing and fluted pilot bearing on the way from him.

We also talked about the possibility of a factory flywheel not being strong enough to take the clearance without coming apart, so that should be noted as well. He's not much of a forum guy but I'll be sending him this link to see if he can find any inaccuracies or provide any more help for other people doing the same.
    Last edited by Bersaglieri; 03-15-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast