Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    InActive Member

Status

Default Supercharging a stock LT1 Camaro

ok so i drive a '95 Camaro...it is bone stock except for a short shifter more basic bolts ons soon to come...i have been looking into prochargers for some time now trying to learn as much about them as i can...and i was curious how running a low boost procharger like the P1-SC will work with my stock motor...i kno that if i start running alot of boost i will need to build up the bottom end and the rear end and the tranny but im not looking to put every penny i earn into my car i have school and all to pay for...just looking for a project for next summer...my goal is to have a fast street car not some rediculous track car that is a pain in the ass to drive around town...this car is my daily driver and im looking to up the power a little more without breaking the bank or my car...all opinions or suggestions on wut i should do are welcome thanks alot
    1995 Camaro Z28 - M6 - Arctic White
    Stock...but not for long!

InActive Member

Status

I've always heard 5-7 psi of boost would be max on a stock bottom end. Not much for the investment. Have you thought of nitrous yet? The stock motor should withstand a 150 shot. Pretty good hp per dollar.
    '95 Z28, ABS Delete, 383, Eagle crank & rods, Speed-Pro pistons, 11.2:1 CR, Small home port job on heads & intake, Comp custom grind 236 w/.550 245 w/.573, EMP 1.6 aluminum RR's, Double roller timing chain, EWP, AFPR, 36# injectors, 58MM TB, Custom CAI, Edelbrock shorty headers, 3" single bullet dumped at rear end, Madtuner.com tune.

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

I wouldn't run more than 5psi, maybe 7 if its low mileage and/or good oil pressure, etc.

Like camarobird said, it's not worth the $$$, there's better bang for your buck out there right now. Either keep saving and pull your motor out for a forged bottom end then throw a supercharger at ~12psi on, or spend your money on bolt-ons/nitrous.

-Eric
    1997 Camaro SS # 2703 - Full exhaust, brand new suspension, bolt-ons, etc.
    2004 Silverado
    Z71 - Airraid, Corvette Servo, 33" AT's, leveled, etc.

VIP Member

Status

Boost and Juice are both addictive. Most of us that run N2O or Forced Induction thought exactly what you are thinking. You will get bored with 5 lbs especially when a stock C6 keep up with you, or beats you on the street. You will eventually blow something up or at least break a piston somewhere down the road.

Trust me, I have two cars one with N2O the other with a T-Trim and I'm still wanting them to both be faster.

FWIW, if you do end up buying a Supercharger go ahead and spend the extra $ and get the D1SC. You will eventually upgrade to it anyway
    Brandon
    94 Z, 383, 6-Speed, T-Trim, Aftercooled, AFR, DFI, Moser, Etc....
    95 Z, DD, Bolt-ons + 125 Shot
    02 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab, Car Hauler

VIP Member

Status

I was looking at a 95 Z28 Convertable that was for sale before I bought my current Formula. I knew the owner, and it had a vortech supercharger on it. It had just a few bolt-ons. I was very tempted to buy it from him, but I just didnt trust the car because it had stock internals. I think he was running about 5psi with it. I think it would have been fine for awhile, but who knows.

It can be done.. but its definately not the safest thing to do. If you do decide to go ahead and do it, definately run somewhat low boost. I dont think it would be worth it though unless you build the motor up to handle more.

- Mike

2008 Corvette Z06 | 2002 Corvette Z06 | 2002 NHRA Formula

LTX Master

Status

When I first started messing with my TA, I bought a rediculously cheap Powerdyne SC from someone in town. (I think I only paid like $500) The non intercooled 6psi was barely even noticeable. So I pulleyed it up and it broke. Then I found a great deal on a used D1sc on one of the forums. At 10psi it was a noticeable improvement over the Powerdyne and put down 450 rwhp.

The thing is, it lasted roughly 30,000 miles of rough driving. It was my daily driver at the time, but we were racing the car every night for quite a long time. I melted a head gasket once, but it survived to right at the 30k mile mark. It finally broke on the track, but not till the finish line. At least I didnt lose to that Cobra. My point is, that if you spend the time and money to do the fuel system correctly and get a good dyno tune, it should last quite a while. Especially if you arent going WOT every time you drive it like I was.
    - Justin

Custom tuning with HpTuners and your most common standalones.
    Quote Originally Posted by WJ Birmingham
    Boost... Makes good motors better, and bad motors junk. http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/im.../icon_eyes.gif

InActive Member

Status

i am at 8lbs on a turbo with stock internals.been almost a year now and am not easy on it. the three most important things when going fi is atleast a 255 fuel pump some bigger injectors and a tune with the timing and fueling adjusted accordingly.
    DAILY DRIVEN 1970 CHEVELLE ,94 LT1,TUNER CAT, DIY PORT & POLISHED RUNNERS,BOWL & CHAMBERS ,DIY TURBO ,8LB EXTERNAL WASTEGATE,3" INTERCOOLED,255 PUMP,42LBS LUCAS INJECTORS, A4 W SHIFT KIT, YANK 3400,AND 3.55

InActive Member

Status

5-7 psi is it no more and even then your eventually gonna have problems due to extra stress on rods and crank and if you get lucky you will just blow rings first. ok we did this just for fun at wyotech as a hey dont do this. my buddy had an extra lt1 block we straped a procharger on it at 15 psi i watched it throw the crank out in pieces main caps failed oil pan went bye bye it was cool to watch though. i am no stranger to boost i own a 4 banger pushing 27psi every day boost is addictive and i hate to say it ive only been beat twice and only one was a v8 but it was a big block a 405 horse all wheel drive cracker jack toy is mean by all standards pics of it are in my album
    Last edited by 94blkz28; 12-17-2008 at 09:56 AM.

InActive Member

Status

I am currently running a nonintercooled 8 psi on my stock engine. First thing that will go are the ring lands. I wouldn't recommend doing it, it's addictive, and you'll want to build a new engine to handle more boost. If you're trying to save money, do small mods first (full exhaust and cai) and see how you like that. Throw some RR's on there if you feel daring.

I wish I would've done the smart thing and built an engine first, and then put a s/c on it.
    -Zach-
    1995 Z28

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by boosted95z View Post
    I am currently running a nonintercooled 8 psi on my stock engine. First thing that will go are the ring lands. I wouldn't recommend doing it, it's addictive, and you'll want to build a new engine to handle more boost. If you're trying to save money, do small mods first (full exhaust and cai) and see how you like that. Throw some RR's on there if you feel daring.

I wish I would've done the smart thing and built an engine first, and then put a s/c on it.

This man speaks the truth.

That's how the stock Longblock in my car met it's demise. Broken ringland.

It's not fun when your car builds boost and blows every vacuum line off the thing.....

'04 K3500 DMax, '01 FXDX, '94 Z/28 M6, '91 Sonoma, '55 Bel Air

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast