Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lurker

Status

Can't find them around here for that cheap. But I can get one on ebay for about 5-600. Still doin a bit of looking around to see what I can find. Leaning toward replacing it, probably the cheapest route.
    1994 TA - MY toy!! CIA, EGR air pump & ac delete, LT headers, 52mm TB, P&P heads, CC305 cam, 1.5 RR, TRW 20 over forged pistons, spec 2 clutch,electric cut out, magnaflow exhaust, tune by Solomon.
    1996 Camaro RS (Y87)

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

I think before I spent the time and money on replacing the engine, I would put a new head gasket on it and let her rip. Then start saving up for a low mileage replacement with a warranty from a salvage yard.
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

3.8's are great motors. I'd try running that with a new gasket (as firebird_1995 said) and check compression and oil/coolant.

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

Lurker

Status

So, I'm about to start going back together with this thing today. My question now is, which way do the pistons go in? There are no marks indicating front of engine on the pistons once cleaned up. I had a few during dis-assembly & wasn't paying attention to the direction of the rod bearing notches. I'm pretty sure the last one I pulled had the notches in. I have been looking at the pics I posted & it looks like I should be able to read the stamped numbers on the pistons once installed, but that would put the notches out. Any ideas before I start? Thanks.
    1994 TA - MY toy!! CIA, EGR air pump & ac delete, LT headers, 52mm TB, P&P heads, CC305 cam, 1.5 RR, TRW 20 over forged pistons, spec 2 clutch,electric cut out, magnaflow exhaust, tune by Solomon.
    1996 Camaro RS (Y87)

Lurker

Status

First off welcome and second This motor is the back of my hand when it comes to knowledge. here is your best bet go to moradparts on ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-03-GRAND-...item51a96a7e14
    this guy is legit and a good guy on top of that. I will tell you that with remans you have a higher risk of spinning a rod bearing depending where you get the rebuild from. third I will say that for not much more money you can toss a SC on it and have a fun car. I am actually building a hi compression block motor like that was in the intrigue with ported heads and bigger cam and intercooled and bigger blower. They are fun to drive and not horrible on gas if the foot is kept out of it. If you have more questions you can get them answered at regalgs.org we are a good group over there and help anyone with about anything. if you head over there give me a shout if you have any questions I am in the middle of a motor swap and build as we speak on my white regal. hope you can get it running but whatever you decide MAKE SURE you get the aluminum framed lower intake gaskets. I have had 2 motors die on me and a buddy thanks to the craptastic plastic gaskets failing and dumping coolant in the crank case and spinning a rod bearing.
    1997 LT1 trans am Ws6 M6 full bmr suspension,ls1 brakes, h,c,i,e
    2006 GTO, 1978 TA w72 hurst Ttop auto, 1978 TA w72 HT 4 spd black and gold, 1993 S10 blazer awaiting lq4 4l80e 4wd swap, 1998 k1500, 97 regal gs bolt ons and tune, 2003 gs h,c,i,e,ic,tune eternal project

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12