Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Started working on the Trans Am

Cars been seriously neglected over the last year. In that time period, the dash was broken, the interior was trashed, it had all sorts of electrical issues. It was either part it out or start trying to fix it and make it nice again. After reading the thread about the guy who bought his old PPM Z28 back I decided to see what I could get done on the old 93. I didn't take many pictures, I should have but oh well .If you have any questions just ask, I am not mechanically inclined at all, so if I have been able to do this stuff you can too. It helps to have a friend who's letting me use his shop and when I get stuck which happens, I can ask questions. But the key is, if I can do this stuff, any one can.

What it used to look like

The first big issue was the car didn't like starting with out a battery box, starter was acting up, sure it was related to the charging issues, just was doing all sorts of weird stuff. So the solution, new GM LT4 Corvette Starter, Innovative Wiring H.O Cables and a Power Bastards Alternator. You can not get GM battery cables any more and these Innovative cables are really nice, they also fit great.

Next, time to tackle the interior, the dash was broken and it had all sorts of weird electrical issues popping fuses when you tried to use the power accessories. The car had an old after market alarm, it looked a ton worse then it was. Only one wire needed to be repaired on the alarm side, the rest had quick taps so it was just a matter of tracing wires and removing what was tapped in. Luckily the box had a wiring diagram so it was actually really simple. The alarm also had door lock functions, that was a bit more work.

I did find exposed wire so I think that was causing my popping fuses. I had to fix two wires on the key less entry harness. This is the alarm below. I also replaced the passenger door lock actuator and replaced a bent door lock lever rod. The end result was no more popping fuses, dash wiring cleaned up and the car having working power door locks. These never worked right since I have had the car.

Junk Alarm

The carpet had gotten wet and the car smelled like ass, I decided to pull the carpet. I was able to shampoo it and clean it up.

Got the carpet back in and started focusing on the dash, the old one had broke on the first ebony conversion. No saving it, so it was pulled. While it was out I changed the a/c evaporator core, heater core and the blower fan. The goal is to put a/c back in this car at some point.

Got everything buttoned up and put the new dash in, the car has now has a complete ebony conversion. I like the ebony a lot more then I did the factory tan.

Got bored and decided to put in a center filler panel in from a CETA

Now it was time for some R&R. My mirrors were faded but worse the mirrors them selves were water etched pretty badly. I found a clean red pair off ebay and swapped them in. Next on the list was ground effects, my passenger ground effect was deformed from some thing years ago and the driver side was cracked to ever living hell. So I found a clean pair again off of ebay, red, and swapped them in.

My 12 Bolt had been leaking, so I knew the cover was coming off plus the wires to the abs sensor were broken so I knew the cover was coming off to fix that as well. So instead of putting the cheapie chrome cover back on, I swapped in a TA performance cover. This is their 12 Bolt cover for low clearances. It fit really nice. I filled the rear end up with Torco 85/140 and their Friction modifier. Was like pumping honey in the rear end.

What's Next

Fix the broken parking brake cable, install the a/c, swap the power accessories bracket for one I had powder coated a while back.
    Last edited by Neil350; 10-29-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    93 T/A Hard Top l 398" l Dart Pro-1s + Single Plane l N2O Outlet Spray Bar l 24X SD Tuned l Street twin + M6 l 12 Bolt 3.90 l Fikses

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Nice Neil! Good to see you working on it again.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Awesome man... maybe a 2013 shootout appearance by her?

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Lurker

Status

Car is looking great, good work!
    Josh 1994 Z28
    M6 Converted - Intake - Exhaust

Awesome!
    1996 T/A - 383, BW S-475, TH350, Trickflows, LE Cam, Revmax

LTx Mod, Founding Member

Status

Very nice, keep us posted on that progress... Ive always liked that TA
    Nick

- 2003 SVT Cobra T56/4.6L - Pullied, Tuned, Full Intake/Exhaust, Stg3 Clutch (29k) - 483rwhp @14-15psi
    - 2002 Ford F350 7.3L Powerstroke - Edge Evo II/33" BFG AT TAs/4" MBRP Turbo Back + Intake (164k)
    - 1995 Pontiac Firehawk #224 (Chameleon) - Full Bolton/Cammed/Full Suspension (71k) - 12.75 @ 107.94
    http://www.fquick.com/Fixxer777

Moderator | Founding Member

Status
    Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

Very nice transformation!
    [ Nick ]
    '94 Z. H/C/I with nearly every bolt on known to the f-body owner.

[ Album | FQuick ]

Founding Member

Status

Nice! Lots of work, but I'm sure it was worth it. I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be able to see you at the shootout!

1997 Camaro Z28

Lots of visual horsepower, full bolt-ons, and a little spray....

Quote Originally Posted by quik95lt1 View Post
    yea so back to the tune..........do what i said before you make yourself a paperweight lol

Lurker

Status

Very very cool that you're making her pretty again.
    1992 Corvette A4: Long Tubes, duals with circle track mufflers, cut lid, 17x9.5/17x11 deep dish ZR1's on 275 Nitto 555 front, 315 Nitto 555 rears, Performabuilt level 2 700R4 w/ FTI 3200 Stall, PCM For Less tune, C5 Brake Swap, more to come....

VIP Member

Status

You should never part that car out. Its way too nice of a car for that.

Prev: 94 Formula V8 M6 - R.I.P. / 96 Trans Am WS6 M6 - Sold / 00 Firebird 3.8 M5 - Sold
    Current: 94 Camaro Z28 A4
    Jesse

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast