Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default New guy! 97 camaro lt1 t56 vibration help

Hello everyone, first post here. Just picked up my first lt1 car. Its a 1997 camaro 30th Ann. T56 with some work. The guy I git it from didn't know much about what is in it. He said bigger heads cam exhaust and intake. It had the engine light on and a miss at under 2k rpm. Also a vibration that variates with rpm from 1800-2200rpm. Outside of those rpms it doesn't do it or even in that rpm range if you get on it. Was a good deal so I got it. (Traded a quad for it). Got it home and in the air and noticed a few things. At least 5 of the plug wires were resting on the headers which look like the pace setter LT race ones. Dual straight pipes out the back, only 1 cat and front 02 sensor. No rear o2s. The heads are aluminum that's all I know and the cam has a pretty nasty lope. Clutch feels nearly shot. I plan on pulling engine/ trans which were supposed to have been rebuilt a year ago. Tear it down to see what's actually in there, reseal it and put her back in. Also have to fix some wiring on that car also burned by the headers. My main concern is the pretty intense vibration. It coming from the engine, it does it either driving or revving out if gear in the garage. Doesn't not seem like a miss would cause this bad a vibration. Only way to compare it is to say it like going down the freeway at 80mph on really unbalanced tires lol. Looking for some direction as to what to check when I get this out. Like I said this is my first encounter with an lt1. Thanks, and look forward to your responses.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

InActive Member

Status

Welcome!! Have you had a chance to check the engine and trans mounts? Could be a possible easy fix for the vibration.
    96 Trans Am LT1 A4......2 broken rods
    94 Camaro Z28 LT1 M6 LTs & Y, 3" SLP DOTL catback, custom CAI, and LT4 crane 1.6 RR..Best time 13.65@ 103 2.11 60ft(still on autocross setup)

InActive Member

Status

I wonder if the engine is 0 balanced and the flywheel still has the weights on it....
    95 Impala SS Clone

LTX AUTOX GURU!

Status

my car had a vibration front 2000-2500 when i first bought it. my trans mount was busted up real bad. replaced it and vibration went away.
    94 Trans am. Built 383/T56(437/409) Wilwoods, tubular suspension, QA1/BMR, Watts Link. Stripped down and set to kill!

Twin Tubo build underway. !GOING AFTER LTX STANDING MILE RECORD!

Thanks. Has regular rubber mounts which all look good. Thats what i was leaning torwards was the balance. Flywheel still has the weight on it. Maybe part of the clutch came apart? Is there anyway to tell if its 0 balance internals outside of taking it to the machine shop?

Welcome to the board. Let's see some pics
    Jacob G.
    If you have an F-Body check this out

i love seeing more white and orange cars out there!! (if its a 30th its white w/ orange stripes) and if the weight is still on the flywheel that might do it!! could also be a driveshaft issue...
    1997 SS- 30th #80 SS #455 383, F1A, nitrous
    http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ler_ghtp_1203/

1995 Z28- 14:1, 355, Beer can on 4 wheels.

Don't think its driveshaft because it will do it out of gear stopped and revving.

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

I'd say fix the plug wires stuff first, ensure everything is copacetic in the ignition system so you can rule out simple misfires at certain RPM's/Loads. Especially if it does it when free revving sitting still. If it was engine unbalance, you should feel it everywhere.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast