Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lurker

Status

Default got called out need advice

ok here is the deal this goes way back to high school but a buddy finally got his cobra II running and so now he says he should be running 12.7s give or take. I need a car that can hang or do slightly better the car is a 97 TA I have full bmr tubular stuff ready to go on and ported intake and heads that were off a turbo car that did 600+ to the wheels and 1.6 rr and I have LT headers and a 58 mm TB and EWP. smack is not allowed for this initial run so what kind of cam would i need for a solid 12.5 and still be street legal as his is too. I am not looking to fully gut this but pass seat and such can come out for a little reduction. the car had a fresh clutch and trans when the head gaskets let go so that is fine I have a 60k donor LT1 out of a 97 SS that will be getting the goodies. is the cam going to need to be a monster to get a solid 12.5 or will it be smooth enough to handle a 400 mile each way road trip to his track. I need to use this winter break to get this thing together so I can settle an old high school bet that never came to fruition.

VIP Member

Status

Email le he and tell him your specifics and what you want to do with it and he can cut a cam that's perfect for your combo and make it easy to drive on the street.

Prev: 94 Formula V8 M6 - R.I.P. / 96 Trans Am WS6 M6 - Sold / 00 Firebird 3.8 M5 - Sold
    Current: 94 Camaro Z28 A4
    Jesse

MAD ABOUT LTX's

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z/28 A4 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 1970 Firebird Espirit, 1972 Camaro Sport Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Badbird_96 View Post
    Email le he and tell him your specifics and what you want to do with it and he can cut a cam that's perfect for your combo and make it easy to drive on the street.
    This is probably your best bet.
    If you don't stand behind our MIlitary then feel free to stand in front of them. <---- This is my oldest son (PROUD DAD HERE) Mike (just plain mad) Madman337 1993 Camaro Z/28 A4 all stock other than a muffler and LCAs @292K+ miles. 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche. 1970 Pontiac Firebird. 1972 Camaro, 1994 Corvette, ​17 Fusion Sport AWD V6 Twin Turbo

bolt ons and a 150 shot... it will put you in the low low 12's... problem solved. and to accuratly tell what cam profile you will need for those heads, you will have to have the flow sheet... otherwise LE isnt going to be able to help you. you can also call Advanced induction... i have a cam from them and Love it...
    1997 SS- 30th #80 SS #455 383, F1A, nitrous
    http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ler_ghtp_1203/

1995 Z28- 14:1, 355, Beer can on 4 wheels.

"The Hammer"

Status
    Name
    JimmyMo
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 1fstss View Post
    bolt ons and a 150 shot... it will put you in the low low 12's... problem solved. and to accuratly tell what cam profile you will need for those heads, you will have to have the flow sheet... otherwise LE isnt going to be able to help you. you can also call Advanced induction... i have a cam from them and Love it...

It is still be possible to find some ballpark figures for the flow rates. A quick google search can find the results of other people's port/polish work. It's not like this is a brand new engine platform that is completely untested. While a cam spec'd based off the given information wouldn't be 100% optimal, it's still possible to get pretty close. I'd be willing to bet that he could even go with an off the shelf grind and still do well. If I am interpreting the word "smack" right, it sounds like the first run is to be a heads up N/A throwdown.

Mid 12's isn't that difficult. a friend of mine used to have a 94 camaro and he was knocking on a 12 second pass with just suspension work, a shift kit and a couple of the usual bolt ons. My car would have been a mid 12 sec car if my clutch hadn't been completely blown the one time I took it too the track before it started chomping axles, and it had an incomplete suspension and only huffing 4.5lbs of boost on a rich, sub optimal tune.

OP, as far as the cam goes, I would call any of the respective cam manufacturers. LE and AI have a huge reputation in our community, so I would start there. Even with out exact flow numbers, LE or AI should still be able to cut a cam that can meet your needs.
    "Only in the Corps can you put three guys in a room with an anvil and a rubber mallet, come back 15 min later, and the anvil is broken, the rubber mallet is missing, and nobody saw a damned thing!"

VIP Member

Status

Nitrous, DR's and gears... Call it a day.

2008 Corvette Z06 | 2002 Corvette Z06 | 2002 NHRA Formula

InActive Member

Status

You need help building it ill definitely drive over to hang or we can do it in my garage in Laramie.

My setup is a comp xfi292 cam, stock heads with upgraded springs, longtubes, true duals, lower control arms with relocation brackets a panhard bar and a mail in order tune....other than that it's stock unless you want to count the lowering springs up front which probably hurt my times..
    So far I've Been able to go 13.2 and that's with an absolutely horrid 2.5 60ft time on street tires.
    There is no doubt in my mind that everything you mentioned with a cam like the xfi292 would get pretty Damn close to mid 12's. If not further Down...
    The cam gets bashed on a lot, especially on that other site but there's only one thing I can say about it...

I LOVE IT!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Also may I ad that I dd with the cam. It would fine for a 400 mile trip no problem in my opinion

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Founding Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro_94 View Post
    Nitrous, DR's and gears... Call it a day.
    I agree!

1997 Camaro Z28

Lots of visual horsepower, full bolt-ons, and a little spray....

Quote Originally Posted by quik95lt1 View Post
    yea so back to the tune..........do what i said before you make yourself a paperweight lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast