Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Thread: IAC valve bolts

InActive Member

Status

Default IAC valve bolts

I have an IAC solenoid/valve to install but do not have the bolts or gasket. Anyone knw the thread size? Can I use a skim of rtv on the mating surfaces or should I buy the proper gasket?

Edit: this is for the 2 bolts that hold in the valve, not for the whole housing.

Thank you,

Jason

InActive Member

Status

The bots are m4.5x0.7 It is an impossible thread to find. I tried 6 different stores and 2 bolt manufactures. I ended up drilling and tapping the throttle body to 10-24. Stupid focking GM. Your best bet is to hit up a junk yard and snag a set.

As for the seal, the IAC uses an O ring. You should be able to find one at your local hardware store that fits right. Or just take the O ring from a car at the junkyard if you end up going that route.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by 95ImpySS; 05-04-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    95 Impala SS Clone

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 95ImpySS View Post
    The bots are m4.5x0.7 It is an impossible thread to find. I tried 6 different stores and 2 bolt manufactures. I ended up drilling and tapping the throttle body to 10-24. Stupid focking GM. Your best bet is to hit up a junk yard and snag a set.

As for the seal, the IAC uses an O ring. You should be able to find one at your local hardware store that fits right. Or just take the O ring from a car at the junkyard if you end up going that route.

Good Luck.

Thank you!
    I have the o-ring, i just need the bolts.

Also should the IAC move by hand in and out? I bought a used one and not sure if it's good or broken. I cleaned it up but have to push pretty hard to get the valve to move in at all. Is that normal?

InActive Member

Status

You shouldn't push or pull on the valve. They will move but like you described its pretty hard to make it move. Don't move it anymore to try and prevent damage. When you install it follow these steps to reset it since you have moved it around.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#iac_reset
    95 Impala SS Clone

InActive Member

Status

Thanks!
    I found the screws at Fastenal today. I got m4 0.7 thread 12mm long and they worked perfect. Not m4.5 but oh well it works great

I will reste the IAC thank you.

Jason

InActive Member

Status

I never thought to try them. Glad to hear the other thread worked.
    95 Impala SS Clone