Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    InActive Member

Status

Default Clutch Pedal Vibrations

I had an assload of problems with a clutch install, but now that it is finally working there is a really bad vibration in the clutch pedal. Some people are saying it just needs to break in, but it seems to be pretty severe.

What would cause the clutch pedal to vibrate? The vibrations also can be felt in the shifter, as well as a slight ticking sound coming from the clutch area.

Would a unaligned disk cause this?

The flywheel was resurfaced during the clutch install.
    ThatAdStudent.com - Advertising and Graphic Design Blog
    1993 Camaro Z28 M29 - Down for Repairs and Upgrades

LTX AUTOX GURU!

Status

My first thought would be the disks ain't aligned.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Is the flywheel new... if not, did you have it neutral balanced? (I thin thats the proper term)

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

InActive Member

Status

I had the same problem until I changed out the master cylinder and it went away.

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    Is the flywheel new... if not, did you have it neutral balanced? (I thin thats the proper term)
    I had the flywheel resurfaced, so I would assume it was also balanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker Z28 View Post
    I had the same problem until I changed out the master cylinder and it went away.
    A Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder is what solved the original problem, so I'll try adjusting that a bit. Maybe I have it adjusted too high.

InActive Member

Status

possibility the flywheel and or pressure plate is loose or warped from tightening , when you torqued the pressure plate down did you torque it in steps or just tightened each bolt down till it was tight ? the pressure plate should be tightened down in at least 3-4 sequences. dont see how the disc would not be aligned since it is splined to the input shaft which rides in the pilot bearing also when you installed the pressure plate did you make sure it was installed on the locating dowel on the flywheel?
    Last edited by z28cam70; 08-06-2011 at 07:24 PM.

InActive Member

Status

btw it is also possible the machine shop didnt have the flywheel true to the arbor when they turned it which could have cut it untrue

Lurker

Status

What brand clutch? Did it say "Valeo" on the PP? I've heard of some of the cheaper ones being imbalanced right out of the box *cough*China*cough*. How did you align the yellow mark on the PP to the flywheel?

Did you install a new pilot bearing/bushing? A missing or worn one would allow play in the input shaft. How does it shift otherwise?

It's not a misaligned disc, that just rides on the input shaft. But it could be a poorly torqued PP. What did you torque it to? Should have been 22 ft. lb.
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan7 View Post
    What brand clutch? Did it say "Valeo" on the PP? I've heard of some of the cheaper ones being imbalanced right out of the box *cough*China*cough*.
    it was either a Ram or Competition Clutch - and I'm pretty sure they both used the Chinese version of the pressure plate.
    How did you align the yellow mark on the PP to the flywheel?
    I had to take the clutch out 5+ times and I don't remember ever worrying about aligning the yellow mark to anything (or any instructions saying to). Is this something that has to be done?
    Did you install a new pilot bearing/bushing? A missing or worn one would allow play in the input shaft.
    Yup. Brand new.
    How does it shift otherwise?It's not a misaligned disc, that just rides on the input shaft. But it could be a poorly torqued PP. What did you torque it to? Should have been 22 ft. lb.
    it seems go shift fine besides some chatter when taking off. I torquee the PP bolts to 22lbs, but I dont think I used LocTite. On another note, I'm curious to see if its the Tick Master Cylinder causing the issue. I had it adjusted fairly high, so Im going to lower it a bit and see if there is a difference.
    Last edited by Counted Out; 08-06-2011 at 08:08 PM.

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by z28cam70 View Post
    possibility the flywheel and or pressure plate is loose or warped from tightening , when you torqued the pressure plate down did you torque it in steps or just tightened each bolt down till it was tight ? the pressure plate should be tightened down in at least 3-4 sequences. dont see how the disc would not be aligned since it is splined to the input shaft which rides in the pilot bearing also when you installed the pressure plate did you make sure it was installed on the locating dowel on the flywheel?
    I went in about 2-3 sequences. And yeah, it was installed on the dowel - I didn't thnk it would fit without being on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast