Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Torching bottles.....BAD IDEA.........Please step inside

I just want to take a minute and preach about torching bottles. I do not want anyone especially my LTX family getting hurt or killed. If you are currently putting a propane torch to your bottles, PLEASE STOP!

I will admit over the years I have torched bottles here and there to get the bottle pressure up to par. Little did I know how stupid that was. I knew back then it was dangerous to hold the torch in one spot but I had no clue of the consequences of torching even with the method I was using. My method was to torch with constant motion never staying in one spot. Even then it can anneal the material and cause a weak spot in the bottle.

These are very important words by Mike Thermos....... "“You can anneal a bottle after a number of times by putting a torch on the bottle. At 350 degrees, that bottle will start to soften. I don’t know how many times it will take, but the bottle will actually explode on you.”

Guys the amount of energy in these bottles is enough to blow the roof off of your home. Most of you know the dangers of this bad bottle heating process but for you that don't please take my preaching serious. Use electric bottle heaters, or hot water boxes, or convert to a push system such as NANO.

If you have bottles that have been heated by a torch, please dispose of them and purchase new ones. It is not worth the risk.

Be safe!

Tony Shepherd
    8.453 @ 163.58 mph (best mph 164.27)

http://ltxtech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24&dateline=128017345  3
    MAY 2011 cover/feature GMHTP......Jan 2008 cover/feature Camaro Performers
    2009,2010,2011,2015 LTX SHOOTOUT OUTLAW CHAMPION
    Current LT1 N2O record holder (Sept 5 2015)

VIP Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1991 C1500
    Blog Entries

I agree with this. 100%

1991 Silverado 1500 - Beater/Project
    1996 Camaro Z28 - Parted Out
    1994 Camaro Z28 - Parted Out
    1981 Corvette - Driveway ornament

Xtreme Member

Status

Good advice. I read a story last year about a guy getting hurt pretty bad when a bottle exploded under his workbench.

here it is http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/nitrou...in-2010-a.html
    Last edited by BLK95-Z; 02-28-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    Bryan
    1994 B4C "Special Service" Camaro - Stock LT1 - 6 speed - 46k miles - Madz28 Tune - 307/340 sae
    LT4 Clutch - Delteq Ignition - K&N CAI - Pacesetter LT Headers - Magnaflow Exhaust - Unbalanced Engineering/Koni Suspension
    LS1 Brakes/Drive Shaft - T2R Diff - 373's - much more...

[QUOTE=BLK95-Z;192264]Good advice. I read a story last year about a guy getting hurt pretty bad when a bottle exploded under his workbench.

here it is http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/nitrou...in-2010-a.html[/QUOTE

Blake is a local guy. Hated to see it happen to him. His situation really turned on a light for alot of nitrous users.
    8.453 @ 163.58 mph (best mph 164.27)

http://ltxtech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24&dateline=128017345  3
    MAY 2011 cover/feature GMHTP......Jan 2008 cover/feature Camaro Performers
    2009,2010,2011,2015 LTX SHOOTOUT OUTLAW CHAMPION
    Current LT1 N2O record holder (Sept 5 2015)

Couldn't agree more Tony, as a huge fan of N20 and Nitrous Outlet! Nitrous can be as safe or dangerous as the user.
    92 RS Vert. LT1/T56 GMPP HotCam, Nitrous Outlet Hard Line set-up.
    2011 LTX Shootout ES/PA #1 qualifier, and runner up.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBottleZ View Post
    The back story on this particular car goes something like this:

The bottle that was in this car had previously been in a truck that caught on fire. The bottle was compromised because of that. Similar to using a torch on it, the bottle was weakened. The bottle was filled and simply sitting in the hatch area out in the sun. Noone was in the car. The interior was hot enough to get the pressure pretty damn high and BOOM!
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast

with tony statements and the pics i think i wont even stand next to a person who is doing this .....shoot since my bottles are used...it makes me think should i just by a new bottles. .

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    David
    Vehicle
    1985 Camaro Z28/1994 Firebird Formula

Is there anyway to tell if one has been heated that way by looking at it? Mine has no "burn" marks or anything and just was re-certified when I had it filled last. I personally have never even seen it done in person but I will definitely stand clear now.
    -David-
    1985 Camaro Z28 (Under Construction)
    1994 Firebird Formula - LT1/4L60e (The Daily)

from what i read not at all....thats why they say to get it certified or just buy a new one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast