Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by AChotrod View Post
    Cool cool now I can park next to you for a photoshoot and not worry........
    8.453 @ 163.58 mph (best mph 164.27)

http://ltxtech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24&dateline=128017345  3
    MAY 2011 cover/feature GMHTP......Jan 2008 cover/feature Camaro Performers
    2009,2010,2011,2015 LTX SHOOTOUT OUTLAW CHAMPION
    Current LT1 N2O record holder (Sept 5 2015)

InActive Member

Status

yep definitely scary shit

8 Second Club

Status

Good post Tony. Just to feed a little extra thought into this, if you don't mind.
    Another thing is never over fill a bottle. Yes you can get 11 or maybe even 12 pounds of nitrous in that 10 pound bottle but the problem of the sun and heat can make the pressure in the bottle climb. If your lucky it might just pop the burst disk if it was installed correctly. But a few bottles have made it out into the public with 2 burst disk stacked together. Some places always check this in every bottle they sell for safety reasons. Others are just pushed thru as fast as they are sold.
    So far 10.576 @ 128.64 on a 1.563 short time. N/A.
    8.957 @ 151.60 on a 1.349 60' time
    THE FIRST 8 SECOND NITROUS POWERED LT1

Quote Originally Posted by 96LT1355Z28 View Post
    A man I'm proud to have known lost his life last year due to a nitrous bottle exploding when he picked it up at an ADRL race. His son in law was the driver and he was a crew member and part owner of the team, he picked up the bottle from the warmer inside the trailer and it exploded. This was a "profosinal" race setup where strict safety rules are in place and accidencts can still happen. Please remember the valve isn't a handle!

http://valdostadailytimes.com/homepa...-at-race-track
    That would be this incident?

http://dragracingonline.com/agent132...-xii_4-42.html

Exploding nitrous bottle not cause of fatality at ADRL event

There has been considerable speculation regarding the tragic fatality at the just completed ADRL National Event at South Georgia Motorsports Park this past weekend. Contrary to what is being written DRO has managed to piece together a least some accurate information. First no bottle exploded and their was no heating of the bottles with a torch. What is known was that the bottles were in a standard heating device- all of the bottles involved have been recovered in one piece. the victim had removed them from the unit and was transporting the bottles to the race car. While carrying the bottles he dropped one and damaged it resulting in the Nitrous venting off. In an attempt to recover the first bottle he dropped the second and somehow broke the valve off of the bottle creating a rocket projectile which hit and fatally wounded the crewman. Our deepest sympathies to all involved

same goes for bottles that have been powdercoated by someone other than the bottle maker. i had one done and then learned that it shouldnt be done by the guy that fills my bottles with co2. they did the test and it came out fine, but he said once it has been heated to a certain temp it weakens the integrity. so just another thing to think about, not only torching bottles, but buying a powdercoated bottle or having it done.

InActive Member

Status

Having about 25 years experience in the aerospace industry, with a lot of exposure to metals failure analyis and designing for fatigue life, I'd take the warning of this thread one step further:
    If you suspect a bottle has ever been heated with a torch, empty it and destroy it. A one-time pressure test in attempt to recertify it is not sufficient in my mind. As pressure goes up and down in the bottle, those microcracks mentioned in this thread from previous torch heating can progress with each pressure cycle.
    Does anybody here know how high of static pressure they test the bottle to for recertification? If it's only 2000 psi or so, from what I know so far, that's not enough of a test.
    1996 ImpalaSS - Stock bottom, AI topend - 10.98 @ 122 - NA, 10.35 @ 128 - 100 shot
    2012 ISSCA SSuperPro Champion / 2013 ISSCA SSuperNatural Champion and Roadrace Runner-up
    2014 ISSCA SSuperNatural Runner-up and Autocross Runner-up
    2015 ISSCA Roadrace Champion

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123