Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back to school

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Default Back to school

Well, with retirement just over the horizon (7 years from August), I decided to go back to school to get my Masters, then possibly look into my options to get into law school.

I fugure since my twp does 100% reimbursement for school, why not get my next career lined up for when i retire (i will only be 50 years old).

Figuee, why not become a lawyer and .ake some money and not have to work 30 hours a week. I can take on as few or as many clients as I want, and my earnings will suppliment my pension (50% of my salary) which I can start collecting as soon as I retire...

But...

Let me tell u, I still hate school and homework.

LTXtech.com is my drug...

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1995 Caprice 9c1

My best friend is an attorney. While he plays hard, he works even harder. Too hard I think. Lots of responsibility. If he forgets something, the perception would be “I lost my case because my attorney is an asshole screwup.” I’d rather handle a man with a gun call.

Sounds fun, and lots of cops become attorneys during and after their career. Hell, our Chief is an attorney. I say do something else in retirement. Perhaps work for LEOKA. They impact a lot of officers, new & old, and save lives.

Retirement is only 6 years away for me, if I decide to go, which I probably will unless someone turns up pregnant. And being a big-dummy, with only a diploma and few measly college credits from the Fire Department (volunteer) I don’t see myself doing anything else except turnin’ wrenches and playing golf.

But you did say 100% reimbursement. That sounds really nice, not having a crap ton of college debt and you could do consulting or something else if you don’t like working for Dewey, Cheatem & Howe ;-)

Sent from my Commodore64, excuse typos & brevity.
    'A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop.'
    -Robert Hughes

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

Your plan sounds like a great idea to get your next career option off the ground why you have the opportunity to take advantage of 100% reimbursement.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Camaro96 For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by ncinirator View Post
    My best friend is an attorney. While he plays hard, he works even harder. Too hard I think. Lots of responsibility. If he forgets something, the perception would be “I lost my case because my attorney is an asshole screwup.” I’d rather handle a man with a gun call.

Sounds fun, and lots of cops become attorneys during and after their career. Hell, our Chief is an attorney. I say do something else in retirement. Perhaps work for LEOKA. They impact a lot of officers, new & old, and save lives.

Retirement is only 6 years away for me, if I decide to go, which I probably will unless someone turns up pregnant. And being a big-dummy, with only a diploma and few measly college credits from the Fire Department (volunteer) I don’t see myself doing anything else except turnin’ wrenches and playing golf.

But you did say 100% reimbursement. That sounds really nice, not having a crap ton of college debt and you could do consulting or something else if you don’t like working for Dewey, Cheatem & Howe ;-)

No debt at all, and I would only do it here and there to suppliment my retirement income. Between that and all of my investments I should be able to live a pretty chill life, because its not a necessity for me to work at that point... just something to do...

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro96 View Post
    Your plan sounds like a great idea to get your next career option off the ground why you have the opportunity to take advantage of 100% reimbursement.

Yeah, just gotta stick with the extra work load of school and work now. Did i mention i hate school.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    JB
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28 1996 Camaro SS

Good luck with whatever you decide. I still hate school....and work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Same as everybody else...350 small block, double hump heads, 3/4 cam

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cathead For This Post:

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1995 Caprice 9c1

Sounds great. You’re gonna be using big words in here on us, like Worcestershire and judiciary.

'A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop.'
    -Robert Hughes

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    Yeah, just gotta stick with the extra work load of school and work now. Did i mention i hate school.

You did mention that school is an issue. The issue I would have is that it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 7yrs to complete schooling. Finding a second career can be a challenge.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro96 View Post
    You did mention that school is an issue. The issue I would have is that it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 7yrs to complete schooling. Finding a second career can be a challenge.

Not if i go into law... i have several ins with the ability to open my own practice as well.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    Not if i go into law... i have several ins with the ability to open my own practice as well.

Then that would be more inviting with ins. Then I would soul searching and continue to work towards it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast