Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Junkyard Dawg

"The Hammer"

Status
    Name
    JimmyMo
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Default Junkyard Dawg

Well, I am introducing my budget build, which will utilize parts that can be found in pretty much any junkyard in America. At least for the big stuff.

The basis will be an Iron headed LT1 out of a B-body car, and I thought I was going to start the day off showing you a bunch of pics of various parts I've sourced going to the machine shop, but alas, it was not to be. The place can't do line boring and they told me some of the other stuff I had was garbage. Plus I didn't really want to pay the prices and the long wait most of the other shops around here are notorious for. So back to square 1...

Until cruising craigs list this morning, I found a motor for 200 bucks. So I will be posting pics of that after I get back from picking it up along with more details on the build and some of the other components I have aquired for it.
    "Only in the Corps can you put three guys in a room with an anvil and a rubber mallet, come back 15 min later, and the anvil is broken, the rubber mallet is missing, and nobody saw a damned thing!"

VIP Member

Status

Im surprised a shop couldnt line bore.
    1995 Z28 1997 SS S10

VIP Member

Status

I built my car solely off the forums classifieds and local deals. Only thing new is my clutch, pads/rotors and some nitrous fittings from nitrous outlet. Car makes 367/352 NA. It was/has been a lot of fun but very frusterating building a car that way. Good luck with your build!
    because jack stand racecar

"The Hammer"

Status
    Name
    JimmyMo
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Update: Due to weather, pics will have to be postponed. However, the 200 dollar motor also came with a new opti and a new water pump. At this point I'm essentially looking at gaskets, piston rings and head studs to finish out this build.

As promised, here is exactly what I am up to. I'm putting vortech 350 dished pistons in an iron head motor and running a slightly thicker than stock head gasket to achieve 8.6 to one compression roughly. This will be followed with about 10 pounds of boost and lots of praying to the opti gods that this motor will hold together.

Now I know some people are going to come on here and ask my why I'm using the iron heads with cast truck pistons to which I have but one reply: why not? It works in theory, now I have to know if it will work in practice.
    "Only in the Corps can you put three guys in a room with an anvil and a rubber mallet, come back 15 min later, and the anvil is broken, the rubber mallet is missing, and nobody saw a damned thing!"

VIP Member

Status

They didnt have another motor did they?
    1995 Z28 1997 SS S10

"The Hammer"

Status
    Name
    JimmyMo
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

unfortunately no. And I have no idea why this guy let this motor go so cheap. I has a brand new water pump and the opti looks like it just came out of the box

"The Hammer"

Status
    Name
    JimmyMo
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Alright, here are some pics of the motor I picked up today and the shinies I have to go with it once it's rebuilt
    Attached Images Attached Images

"The Hammer"

Status
    Name
    JimmyMo
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

And some more
    Attached Images Attached Images

InActive Member

Status

Looking good. Wish I could get parts like that down here. Everyone here thinks LT1s are gold. 400-1400 for stock motors
    95 Impala SS Clone

"The Hammer"

Status
    Name
    JimmyMo
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Haha, that's the way they are around here too. I just got really lucky that this guy was desperate to get rid of the motor. 6 months at 200 bucks, and no one showed to claim it.

Main and rod bearings are ordered. Hopefully this week or this weekend, tear down will begin. New valve springs should be here tomorrow and I should be able to install them this weekend sometime.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast