Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Thread: ECM question

Default ECM question

I have a 94 Lt1 and i think my problem is either the ecm or somthing in the wiring. When we hook up the scanner the computer is throwing out really really wierd readings.

so instead of bombing $350 for a new one from GM i searched on ebay and found a 94 or 95 caprice with and LT1 ecm for $65. My question is will that work with my car just fine or will i have to do anything special to make it work?

so nobody knows if a caprice ECM will work with my z28?

Yes it will, they are the same, the tune of course will be different due to the iron heads...

InActive Member

Status

Anyway to reflash the computer to a stock tune? Or does he need to buy software?

You can take it to the dealer for the reflash but it has to be in the car, they cannot bench flash it. If your car is basically stock, then the computer will be good enough to drive around, even if you have a small cam, but the injectors need to be of the stock size, if they are larger ones, I wouldn't recommend driving it..

InActive Member

Status

His car is bone stock so I guess he will be ok to drive to dealer.
    How much you guys think it would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker Z28 View Post
    His car is bone stock so I guess he will be ok to drive to dealer.
    How much you guys think it would be?
    Here in Texas it use to be $50.00, now they want $100.00 for a re-flash. Dont you know of anyone with LT tuning software? they can reflash it for you, I re-flash them all the time. But even a stock motor benefits from a tune. I will PM you..

InActive Member

Status

Default PCM Reflash

You will want to reflash that computer with the proper PCM Definitions for the Z. Iron head motors use different parameters than the aluminum head motors. See if anyone on this site has a stock 94-95 z PCM Definitions file and ask them to emai it to you. If you have a laptop, USB or serial connector to aldl cable and a program called "Winflash" you can upload the correct definitions to your PCM yourself. if not, you may have to go to the dealer or a certified GM shop to get the PCM reflashed.