Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Thread: Accessions

Daily Driver

Status

Default Accessions

So today, I just requested my top 12 branches. I'm a 3rd year Army ROTC cadet majoring in Aerospace Engineering & Mechanics, and for our accessions packet before we go to LDAC in Ft. Lewis we had to fill out our top 12 Active component branches. I really want to fly. My dad was 1st Cavalry in Vietnam and flew AH-1 and I really.. REALLY wish to follow the same route. I want to fly 1st Cav in 64D's.. I've been interning at the Army Flight Test Directorate on Ft. Rucker to see if that would help my chances of branching AV and doing some combat and later applying for test pilot course and getting into DTC/OTC but here was my list. But.. of course, I'd be happy to serve where the Army needs me. Hooah

1. Aviation
    2. MI (pretty tough to get into, so I put it down)
    3. MS (I know I probably won't get it, so I put it down)
    4. ADA
    5. EN
    6. FA

Top 6 pretty much only matter unless something crazy happens. However well we do at LDAC and our GPA, PT, major, and cadre recommendation letters puts all cadets on a National OML and that's how you get your branch, pretty much. I'll know everything a year out from commissioning.
    95 T/A M6
    Bolted | Slammed | 4.10s

InActive Member

Status

If you want to fly for the military, Army Helo's will be the easiest. You don't need half the qualifications and education that it would take to become a commissioned officer to fly for the other branch's. As an Army Warrant officer the competition will still be there and it won't be easy, but the odds are much better in your favor than to try to become a military pilot elsewhere.

Becoming a test pilot definatly comes much further down the road. Usually after at least 5-7 years of active flying experience. And even then, they take like the top 1% of all that apply.

Having wanting to be a pilot myself ever since I was a kid, and knowing well the odds that were against me, I tell you to keep on trying and doing your best even though it may seem impossible. It doesn't always work out, but for me it did, and it can for you as well.

I'm currently in pilot training at Columbus AFB in MS. I used to fly to Tuscaloosa airport all the time when I was flying the T-6.

Find out the exact requirements of what you want, and see what people have accomplished that are getting in, and then try and get your record to reflect or be better than those accepted. That should be a good starting point.

Good luck man!
    1995 Z28 - disfunctional now, perhaps insane after its "treatment"
    1998 Formula WS6 -Heads, cam, intake, bolt ons 441RWHP