Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Hybrid View

Default How to properly launch a manual car?

I want to know jsut in general like on the street and racing, how to quickly and smoothly accelerate in a stock LT1 M6 Firebird with 3.42 gears. I want to know any techniques on the best way to take off and get optimum acceleration without shredding the tires off through the first 3 gears, or sitting still because traction control kicking my pedal back at me forever. i want to know if and what RPMS to be at etc etc.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Learn to slip the clutch... its a fine balance between burning up the clutch and breaking the rear tires loose. Its just something you are gonna need to practice.

However, be ready to replace shit as you wear em and break em....

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

InActive Member

Status

Here's a video of a shitty launch (IMO):

And heres a good one:

-94 Z28 355 M6 24X E-85 21* TRICKFLOWS TH400 S60
    C5 Z06 IN ROAD RACE TRIM. COMING SOON

InActive Member

Status

Here's some things for you to try

Hold steady at 2500 rpms.

Slowly disengage clutch, then when it is all they way out, roll quickly to full throttle.

Now release the clutch a little faster and roll on the throttle WHILE releasing the clutch.

The faster you can get the clutch out, the more throttle you can give it without slipping the clutch badly, but too quick on the clutch or too much throttle and the tires will break loose.

Repeat at 3000
    4000 etc

You probably wont get much over 3000 on street tires IME.

That and get a G-tech pro. They're not "super" accurate but they are pretty damn good and at least give you some kind of reference to what technique does what.

No one can give you a set method that will work for you car because there are so many variables.

One thing you DONT want to do is "sidestep" or "dump" the clutch. That just forces the tires to break loose and is hard on drive line parts.

If you have a built drivetrain and your on the track with slicks, then it can be a different story. But some variant of the method I described will give you the best results on the street.

-94 Z28 355 M6 24X E-85 21* TRICKFLOWS TH400 S60
    C5 Z06 IN ROAD RACE TRIM. COMING SOON

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gregrob For This Post:

jlo

I like to drop the clutch at around 2500 rpm then roll into the gas as I gain traction. Not the best way but it works for me most of the time and I dont have to worry about burning my clutch. The best advice I can think of is to just experiment and find out what works best for you and your car.

VIP Member

Status

Pratice. And when you get brave get ready to replace some gears after you put some sticky tires on it.
    1995 Z28 1997 SS S10

We just dumped the clutch at 6000-6500 and held on!!

InActive Member

Status

What everyone saying is really accurate. You need to practice smoothly and quickly engaging the clutch while minimizing tire spin. A ton of practice and a lucky hole shot will get you there.

One thing that needs to be emphasized here though is that there are several important factors leading to make things easier and more successful.

#1 is suspension work. A well built suspension can help harness all your power to the ground, and little effort is needed to get a good launch. Some suspension work can actually make getting out of the hole at the track (or on the street) even more difficult than when the car was stock. A tight suspension with lowering springs may help to improve cornering and road coarse times, but there is nothing to transfer the weight, and can make things a royal PITA to launch.

#2 is tires. A sticky tire can make or break you. A thin profile can also hurt compared with a larger profile. Make sure whatever you have, to heat them up before launching. Line lock can make this very easy without destroying brakes at the same time (contact Fastbird for an awesome line lock kit that beats everyone else's price).

A good combo of those two can make it very easy to launch a 6-speed.

I'll give you a good example with my cars in my sig.

My Z28 has full drag suspension and Nitto DR's. It has 614 RWHP and can nearly dead hook in 1st gear on the street without even getting the tires hot. Don't believe me? (I probably wouldn't either)

(50 seconds in will get you to my launch), (the first 50 seconds is Fastbirds Vette right after he initially got it tuned with the Turbo install)

Click here to see Video

Next you have the LS1 Formula WS6 in my sig. It has 441 RWHP but has stiffer lowering springs and doesn't give much, along with some Khumo tires. I can spin the tires till about 75 MPH even if the tires are heated up. I tried taking it to the track just on the street (Khumo) tires and my best time was a low 13 @ 118. The MPH says the car is capable of high 11's with good suspension and tires (as well as a good launch).

My best 60' time in my Z was a 1.5 (that was with heated slicks, but still large and heavy 18' wheels on the front).
    1995 Z28 - disfunctional now, perhaps insane after its "treatment"
    1998 Formula WS6 -Heads, cam, intake, bolt ons 441RWHP

I agree with everything that call911 said but the stuff about getting the tires hot. With slicks and DR's yes do a nice burnout and warm up the tires but DO NOT try that with street tires. When you bo big burnouts with street tires they get greasy and do not hook as well. For street tires I would recommend that you avoid the water box and just turn the tires over a few times to clean them off and roll up to the line.