Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I don't even want to add up the money I have into my car. Luckily I bought it already modified. I had a stock Formula and planned a LE2 kit but then sold it and bought the current Formula that already had all that on it. That was nice because I only spent an extra 1400 on swapping cars and got a LE2 motor with all the supporting mods. I always like to keep a stash hidden away for when great deals come along. Hell, I have right around 2000 tied up in my 383. Sold my LE2 setup and bought the basic 383 for a killer deal.

Even with that being said, I'm almost positive I have around 20K if not more tied up in my car. But that includes the cost of the car itself.

Don't ever let anyone tell you being fast is cheap LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DopdBrd View Post
    Don't ever let anyone tell you being fast is cheap LOL
    It can be cheap, just have to know how to do it. Is $6500 for a car that runs 9's cheap enough? Or how about $4500 for one that runs 10.2's. Not just a single pass either, been taking a beating for a year. I got very little into my firebird also, I could easily put it into the 10's for less than $2k with a nitrous setup again. Again, not talking about a wonder one time pass, I'm talking about something you can take out and race for a season without doing anything.

I've spent lots of money going fast before, then got smarter about it and found ways to go fast for a lot cheaper. Anything we can build ourselves we do and I buy as little as I can new.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 12.34 at 108.2 bolt ons FOR SALE
    1983 Rx7 - 2560lbs 5.3/TC78 9.93 at 144.7, driving to the track and driving home
    1996 formula - budget bolt on setup

InActive Member

Status

I stopped keeping an accurate account of how much I have dumped into my Z28 LTX in my sig after about $65,000

Keep in mind that I am including previous work done on the factory LT1, then the N/A 383 setup, then also the 383 FI build.

It really does add up.

There are plenty that can do it for cheep, but 99% of the time, reliability goes out the window at that point. For me, if I am going to go through the trouble of spending thousands, and go through the pain, blood, sweat, and tears it takes to get an FI car together and run properly, you'd better bet I am going to only go through it once and build it so I know it will be reliable. No way would I build something and save $8,000 just to have it run until it needs its first oil change and then go "boom" and have to start the whole process over again, usually cositng me even more to rebuild it, than it would have if you just build it right the first time.

It costs money to go the FI route. Thats why you don't see very many FI guys running around. It's not because they don't want the power. It's because they usually can't afford it.

"First you get the money, then you get the power"

("then you get the women")
    1995 Z28 - disfunctional now, perhaps insane after its "treatment"
    1998 Formula WS6 -Heads, cam, intake, bolt ons 441RWHP

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by CALL911 View Post
    I stopped keeping an accurate account of how much I have dumped into my Z28 LTX in my sig after about $65,000

Keep in mind that I am including previous work done on the factory LT1, then the N/A 383 setup, then also the 383 FI build.

It really does add up.

There are plenty that can do it for cheep, but 99% of the time, reliability goes out the window at that point. For me, if I am going to go through the trouble of spending thousands, and go through the pain, blood, sweat, and tears it takes to get an FI car together and run properly, you'd better bet I am going to only go through it once and build it so I know it will be reliable. No way would I build something and save $8,000 just to have it run until it needs its first oil change and then go "boom" and have to start the whole process over again, usually cositng me even more to rebuild it, than it would have if you just build it right the first time.

It costs money to go the FI route. Thats why you don't see very many FI guys running around. It's not because they don't want the power. It's because they usually can't afford it.

"First you get the money, then you get the power"

("then you get the women")

Well said, I DID the TRY TO DO IT CHEAP ROUTE, and ERIC PARISH taught me one hell of a lesson!!!!

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

HOLY SHIT 65K on lt1 z28! do you ever think you could probably own a new ZR1 right now?

InActive Member

Status

I agree with the thread. A buddy of mine has a Silverado, and has spent upwards of $80K (including cost of the vehicle) with heads, cams, different suspension parts, single turbo, and now twin turbos...Yea it adds up quick.

My NA setup, with repairs to broken and worn parts and sensors, as well as cost of the vehicle with performance parts has brought me close to $20K.

LE2 Heads 2.02/1.60 valves, 11:3 CR, 226/232 custom grind, Pacesetter longtubes,
    Built 4L60E via TCI, Zex wet 125 shot (soon to use), 3.73's, Bolt-ons, Hoosier Slicks
    11.78@114 MPH, 1.61 short time, on the old setup

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by dsmawd350 View Post
    HOLY SHIT 65K on lt1 z28! do you ever think you could probably own a new ZR1 right now?
    First off, I didn't just have $65,000 sitting in an account and decided to spend it all at once. Like Fastbird, it was spent over a period of time that lasted over a decade, and just kept adding up to where it is now.

Second, there was a time when I was around the $45,000 mark that I would have easily traded the car for just the money I had in it. But after time I realized what sentamental value the car had on me. It was the first car I ever bought, the frist stick I learned to drive, it became known as "CALL911" very early on and later identified who I was as a person (sounds wierd, but it has). I wouldn't trade my old LT1 for anything! ESPECIALLY a ZR1!!

There are plenty of other cars out there I would like to have, and many of them would turn more heads and in some cases even be faster than my Z. But I really don't look at my investment as something that was foolishly spent, or something I could trade as if it were part of the stock market.

I'll be rockin' out my LTX Z28 till the day I die!
    1995 Z28 - disfunctional now, perhaps insane after its "treatment"
    1998 Formula WS6 -Heads, cam, intake, bolt ons 441RWHP

LTX Regular

Status

Ben aka CALL911 is telling the truth. I've got a 6" thick binder w/ every reciept since inception dating back to 97. I'm close to 100K including the cost of the car (paid 12K for it back then. 13 yrs in the making and I too had multiple engines, 355, ground up 396 and now the 388 from the ground up. Engine, fuel system, ECU and blower/IC system set me back 30K easy. Funny thing about all of this is, I've still got a stk rear! LOL! It's the only thing stk but when it goes a 12 bolt will go in. Like CALL911, the car will go to the grave w/ me as I've got too much blood, sweat, tears and foul words in it. I'm still not done but eventually the car will be complete and god knows how much more money that'll cost me in the end, but knowing me...a good 20K. It takes years if not a decade or two to build what you see out there.

Now if I can just find me a nice C5 Z.
    93 SRZ

02 MY Z06, LG pro LT headers, catted X-pipe, Borla stingers, CC 224/228, CC918's, CAI, CCW's just your basic C5Z

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Silas, you should be able to find a C5Z EASILY anymore. I've seen a lot of examples going for at or below $20K anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

LTX Regular

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
    Silas, you should be able to find a C5Z EASILY anymore. I've seen a lot of examples going for at or below $20K anymore.
    Sean...yeah, I know. I'm looking at a 99 white FRC right now w/ CCW's going for 15.5K. 117K miles w/ exhaust but basically bone stock. GAWD, it's so tempting!
    Last edited by The SRZ; 04-07-2010 at 08:31 PM.
    93 SRZ

02 MY Z06, LG pro LT headers, catted X-pipe, Borla stingers, CC 224/228, CC918's, CAI, CCW's just your basic C5Z

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast