Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

VIP Member

Status

Default A4 to M6 swap price est.?

what do you guys think it would cost to have a shop do the full swap for me? I know its not extremely difficult but I just have no intrest in doing it myself. Also does any one know a good shop in eastern PA/NJ where I could get an estimate?

VIP Member

Status

no one has any idea?

LTx Mod, Founding Member

Status

If your doing it yourself, its going to run you between 1,000.00-1,500.00 (more torwards 1,500.00 for a decent working trans with clutch/pedals/ect.) for EVERYTHING to swap into your A4. If you have someone else do it, it could be as high as 2,500.00-3,000.00... Not worth it in my opinion. Lots of labor, not enough payoff.

Do it yourself with the help of a few buddies, and save yourself a ton.
    Nick

- 2003 SVT Cobra T56/4.6L - Pullied, Tuned, Full Intake/Exhaust, Stg3 Clutch (29k) - 483rwhp @14-15psi
    - 2002 Ford F350 7.3L Powerstroke - Edge Evo II/33" BFG AT TAs/4" MBRP Turbo Back + Intake (164k)
    - 1995 Pontiac Firehawk #224 (Chameleon) - Full Bolton/Cammed/Full Suspension (71k) - 12.75 @ 107.94
    http://www.fquick.com/Fixxer777

VIP Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA View Post
    If your doing it yourself, its going to run you between 1,000.00-1,500.00 (more torwards 1,500.00 for a decent working trans with clutch/pedals/ect.) for EVERYTHING to swap into your A4. If you have someone else do it, it could be as high as 2,500.00-3,000.00... Not worth it in my opinion. Lots of labor, not enough payoff.

Do it yourself with the help of a few buddies, and save yourself a ton.
    im not worried about dropping the trans. I've done that before to get my A4 out and sent off to get rebuilt. Im just worried about the pedal assembly and all. I know absolutly nothing about that and dont really want to cut into my floor boards, lol.

LTx Mod, Founding Member

Status

If I remember correctly, the outline you need to cut out is already there under the carpet. They cut the indent into ALL fbodys and only cut it out fully in the M6s. On the A4s its there, just not cut out.
    Nick

- 2003 SVT Cobra T56/4.6L - Pullied, Tuned, Full Intake/Exhaust, Stg3 Clutch (29k) - 483rwhp @14-15psi
    - 2002 Ford F350 7.3L Powerstroke - Edge Evo II/33" BFG AT TAs/4" MBRP Turbo Back + Intake (164k)
    - 1995 Pontiac Firehawk #224 (Chameleon) - Full Bolton/Cammed/Full Suspension (71k) - 12.75 @ 107.94
    http://www.fquick.com/Fixxer777

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

My first LT1 was a auto, so I only got it because I got a killer deal on it. I dread automatics, and think they're a joke for sports cars... but that's for another thread.

Anyways, I looked at doing a M6 swap when I had it and I figured $1,500ish for parts and atleast $800 to 1300 in labor. Obviously not worth it, so I sold the car (94 Z28 w/ exhaust, 139k miles) and with what I sold my '94 for + $500 I got a '97 Z28 M6 (bone stock with ~109k miles) And I felt that was a much better alternative. I still miss the car, but hey... I don't have the Z28 anymore either.

Long story short, I'd recommend selling it and buying a manual, unless your attached to it. And if so, be prepared to shell out a couple bucks.

-Eric
    1997 Camaro SS # 2703 - Full exhaust, brand new suspension, bolt-ons, etc.
    2004 Silverado
    Z71 - Airraid, Corvette Servo, 33" AT's, leveled, etc.

InActive Member

Status

I spent around $3500. But before you freak out, $2000 of that was for the tranny alone. I ended up buying the 4A package from Six Speeds Inc. It was also very difficult to find someone selling a complete swap package, so I ended up spending a lot at the dealer. All those little parts add up. But my car works and looks as if it came stock with a manual, down to all the solenoids (except CAGS).

It took me two days to go completely from auto to manual, but I also had a lift and a tranny jack. I am very satisfied with it. It seemed like a lot of money when I did it, but every time I row through the gears it makes up for the dent in my wallet.
    1996 Camaro Z28
    LE2 Heads, LE ported intake, LE emissions cam, Comp Pro Mags, 37# Injectors, 58mm TB
    M6 Conversion, T56 by Six Speeds Inc, RAM Powergrip, McLeod Adj. MC, B&M short throw
    Kooks LTs, Loudmouth, K&N CAI, MSD (wires, coil, 6AL), BMR PHR, UMI SFCs

Lurker

Status

I didn my swap for $1200. That included everything except the consol which I found in a junk yard. I did the programing my self and a buddy of mine did the drilling and wiring. It wasnt hard at all.

InActive Member

Status

So far I'm about $1600-1700 into mine. I got a low mile trans & stock F body flywheel and clutch that I'm not going to use, for $1200. I got set of F car pedals off ebay on the cheap. The big thing was the kit to bolt the F body pedals and slave into a B body, That set me back $400. I still need the hydros, a real clutch, and figure out something for a X member.

You F body guys have it too easy......
    94' Impala SS....

VIP Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MEAN LT1 View Post
    I didn my swap for $1200. That included everything except the consol which I found in a junk yard. I did the programing my self and a buddy of mine did the drilling and wiring. It wasnt hard at all.
    Same here. I was at 1200 and that was with a Spec clutch. I swapped everything out in my garage in 3 days taking it real easy. It's not a hard swap at all. On something like this, the labor would kill you and it wouldn't be worth it in the end. Here's the write-up I followed to perform the swap.

http://www.afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/T56.htm