PDA

View Full Version : 94-96 Trans Am with steering wheel controls

Neil350
08-13-2009, 07:51 AM
On your factory CD players, how does the steering wheel controls hook up? On my 93, the blue wire is on it's own seperate plug. I looked on the monsoon cars pin out and the wire is on one of the main 10 pin connectors not seperate. So the question I have is, on your 94-96 cars, is it also seperate or apart of the 10 pin connector? On the newer head units, there is a seperate plug but it's for the factory CD changers.

Neil

LT1/TA
08-15-2009, 12:09 AM
I had to remove the wire and terminal from the single connector and put it in the correct place on the 10-pin connector.I did not have the factory radio that came in my car so I got one from a 97 bird and the steering wheel controls did not operate the right way,so I put a 95 up steering wheel in my car and the controls operate perfectly.

Neil350
08-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks man, that explains it perfectly. With my factory 93 wheel the steering wheel controls never worked as long as I have had the car. I put an 01 wheel in and tried it with the 93 head unit and it worked, just not right. Going to try and repin it like you did so it's like the newer cars. Got any tips on the best way to repin with out damaging the clips?

Neil

LT1/TA
08-17-2009, 11:03 PM
If you look inside of the connector at the terminal (wire) there will be a little tab that holds it in the connector,you can depress the tab with a small pin or pick and the wire and terminal will slide out of the back of the connector.Then you can put it in the correct position for the later style radio connector.

If you are still using your 93 radio the later model controls will not work correctly.you will either have to change to a later model radio or fix your 93 steering wheel controls.I fixed my 94 steering wheel controls,because I like the look of the 93-94 style,but it just does'nt control the radio correctly.So I put the 95 up wheel and controls in.
On your 93 steering wheel controls not working I had the same problem with mine,I removed the switches from the air bag and removed the screws on the back of the switch .then the buttons will separate from the housing and the circuit board.I found that the buttons were not making contact with the small button switches on the circuit board.I took and cut some straws from an aerosol spray can and put them in the buttons to make contact with the button switches on the circuit board and the controls worked perfectly.But they still will not work the later model radio's correctly,I guess the resistor are different between the 93-94 and the 95-later style controls.

I can get you some pic for the control repairs or the terminal removal if needed.

LT1/TA
08-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Another cool thing you can do to the factory Radio is add an auxiliary jack so you can run an MP3,IPOD,or other device through the radio.I did mine and put the jack in the faceplate of the radio.

Neil350
08-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks man, you have been a huge help. If you have some pics of the terminal removal that would be great. This is kind of one of those things if you mess it up, your kinda screwed. I found the pin out on tech of where that blue wire is suppose to go on the 10 pin connector. Saw the factory radios with aux jacks all over e-bay, was wondering what that was all about.
My stock 93 wheel is long gone, the leather was comming apart and one of the buttons actually fell out. Picked up a clean wheel out of an 01 T/A and have a spare Monsoon head unit. Always wondered why the stock wheel controls didnt work, they lit up so I knew they had power. Always figured it was an issue with the radio, but when I did the new wheel and hooked it up to the stock 93 head unit, they worked, just not right. I can see you also did the 97 cluster upgrade on your.

LT1/TA
08-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I really like 97 cluster better.I will try to get you some pics of the wire removal later today.

popo8
08-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I gotta say the members on this site suprise me every day with their enginuity...

LT1/TA
08-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Neil,
Sorry it's taking so long to get back with you,but I just have not had time to post any pics,I will get some as soon as I get a chance.

Neil350
08-25-2009, 03:56 PM
No problem, i checked my 10 pin connector, I do not have an open spot for that wire to go

LT1/TA
08-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi Neil
Here are some pics of the connector,you will have to put your blue wire from the steering wheel controls in the gray connector.The front of the connector has a tab inside that you have to press in and the wire will come right out of the back of the connector.Picture 149 shows the wire in the exact spot on my radio.If I can help any further please let me know.
Steve

Neil350
08-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Thats crazy, our cars have different radio connectors. My 93 has that 5 pin on top and nothing else. I ended up putting the Pioneer head unit back in and using a Pac box to make the steering wheel controls work

LT1/TA
08-30-2009, 08:42 AM
I can send you a connector if you want it,it looks like the gray and black connectors separate.
How do you like the Pac interface,does it work and is it easy to program?I was going that route when I tried a stock head unit to test the steering wheel control operation and I have not put my sony back in yet,because I like having the controls on the wheel.

Neil350
09-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Replied to your PM, thanks for the offer, I think I'm just going to keep the after market head unit in. The Pac is fairly to install and program, if I could do it, any one can.

WhiteGhost94
10-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Another cool thing you can do to the factory Radio is add an auxiliary jack so you can run an MP3,IPOD,or other device through the radio.I did mine and put the jack in the faceplate of the radio.
What did you conect it to in your radio? (mp3 hook up)
also I went to a newer radio and steering wheel and the controls are backwards in a way (volume up is seek volume down is up etc.) any way to fix this???

LT1/TA
10-20-2009, 01:18 AM
I added a AUX input jack to the internal wiring on the CD units audio circuit.

My controls were backwards when I changed to a 97 model radio and I was still using my 94 Steering wheel.When I changed to the 95 up Steering wheel the controls worked just fine.

I guess the resistors are different in the buttons on the different style Steering wheels.
Let me know and I can send pics or give more details.